SUPERVISOR: Supervising Attorneys
DEPARTMENTS: Private Client & Tax
HOURS: 8:00am to 5:00pm
SUMMARY: The Legal Secretary is responsible for increasing attorney and office effectiveness and efficiency by providing administrative support, organizing, coordinating and managing workflow, schedules, information representing attorneys and other fee earners to clients and others.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: This position will be based in our Greenwich office, and currently support at least 3 attorneys, including Partners and Associates in the Private Client & Tax division. Practice groups within the office include Wealth Planning, Tax, Intellectual Property and Commercial/Corporate Transactions. The job encounters recurring and new varied work situations of moderate degree of complexity, and includes frequent contact with others inside and outside of the firm including immediate partners, associates, and supervisors, members of other departments or other offices, clients and other professionals.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; coordinating documents and case preparation.
- Conserves attorneys’ time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other visuals; preparing expense reports.
- Maintains attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, dispositions, and travel; anticipating changes in transaction preparation requirements.
- Schedule meetings with internal and external participants, and arrange conference rooms.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting attorney billable time, time spent on firm related matters and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
- Handles billing responsibilities for fee-earners, including reviewing draft bills, making changes to drafts, managing billing flow, all in a timely manner
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems.
- Maintain hard copy and electronic filing system (Desk Site/iManage).
- Operate office equipment such as photocopy machine and scanner to produce copies and scanning when needed.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned and assist attorneys when needed.
- Overall organization and management of documents, work, client matters, fee-earner time and schedules for more efficient and productive fee earners.