Providence, RI US
The Assistant Controller is responsible for assisting with all financial aspects of the business and the focal point for financial planning and analysis, cost accounting and profit and loss statement control, ensuring compliance with all Policies and Procedures, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Although a leadership role, this position is a hands-on, working manager with individual contributor requirements as well as leadership and management responsibilities. This position reports directly to the Director of Finance.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or competency needed for successful performance in the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Effectively lead department staff by coaching, developing, communicating, delegating, and holding staff accountable. Create a team-oriented environment which motivates staff and keeps employees engaged in their jobs and the Company.
· Oversee daily operations of the Accounting and Finance departments. Controls and monitors all company assets including inventory and fixed assets through cycle counting or other audit methodologies.
· Establishes or recommends to management major economic strategies, objectives and policies for the company. Acts to link/align the major business functions to profitability, growth and cash flow.
· Prepares timely and comprehensive reports including analysis of financial data, statements, and audits covering sales, earnings, profits, working capital, cash balances and other financial metrics based on past, present and expected operations.
· Monitors approved budgets on a monthly basis, providing guidance and assistance where needed to management.
· Partners with Operations and Sales functions in matching financial capability of company assets and resources to the forecast for sales/shipments as well as analyzing margins and recommending actions to improve items not meeting overall objectives of company.
· Manages financial audits with internal and external auditors and provide recommendations for procedural improvements.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Strong background in product cost Accounting (standard cost system) and experience in plant accounting/finance systems including strong understanding in the relationships with ERP system and the P&L and how to utilize the use of Excel.
· An understanding of GAAP is required. Track record of improving internal controls highly valued.
· Exceptional analytical abilities and understanding of accounting and finance issues in a manufacturing environment.
· Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections. Working knowledge of short- and long-term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and profitability and variance analysis.
· A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker with effective problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation vs. simple reporting.
· Experience presenting to highest levels of management with confidence and precision.
· Effective leadership, e.g., ability to define team objectives and hold others accountable for results.
· Effective organization and planning skills.
· Team Oriented.
Experience & Education:
· BS or BA in Accounting or equivalent from an accredited institution. MUST have CPA
· Minimum of 8 years Accounting/Finance experience
· Previous supervisory experience required.
· This position is onsite in Providence location